ANNUAL MEETING OF THE PARISH OF COLEMORE AND PRIORS DEAN
HELD AT FIELD FARM BARN, COLEMORE, FRIDAY 24TH MARCH 2023
Electors : Carolyn Fair (Chairman), James Fair, Eric North, Carolyn North, Vivienne Godfrey, Keith Godfrey, Jane Wyman, John Britton, Joanna Brown, Simon de Zoete, Ruth Evans, Neil Blackley, Janet Chesterman, Remony Moser.
Visitors : Charles Louisson (District Councillor), Russell Oppenheimer (County Councillor).
It was noted that this forms a quorum for the Colemore and Priors Dean Parish Meeting.
WELCOME AND APOLOGIES
The Chairman welcomed the Members of the Parish and visitors attending the meeting. She noted that a quorum was present and called the meeting to order at 6.35pm.
Apologies were received from : Hector Fair, David and Venetia Bridger, Elizabeth Britton, Martin Evans and Peter Moss, who was due to have addressed the meeting but has covid.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING
The Minutes of the last meeting 1st April 2022. Proposed by Mrs Fair, seconded by Mrs Moser.
SDNPA Local Plan
The South Downs National Park Authority have embarked on a Review of their Local Plan.
Not a wholesale re-write but going out to Parishes for information to build-up a detailed description of areas. This started in 2022 with a Call For Sites (for houses) and a Call For Green Spaces (for communities). The Parish did not respond to these.
This year the Parish was invited to complete an Open Spaces Assessment and Settlement Facilities Assessment. The Parish has responded to both of these. Under the Open Spaces we listed our 2 churchyards and The Warren Nature Reserve – included complaints about the lack of SDNPA Enforcement action in protecting the public access to, and enjoyment of, the Warren.
The next step will be to submit a Parish Priority Statement, for which we will be required to detail steps taken to engage parishioners, especially the young. Chairman proposed to email parishioners to ask for input. This will be early autumn 2023.
SDNPA Design Guide Supplementary Planning Document (SPD).
Available on Park website and useful reference for planning applications and objections.
- Warren Barn. 12 months period of grace after losing appeal, to find alternative accommodation. This expired end of May 2022. The Park are undertaking another site visit and have opened communications with EHDC on the alternative housing for the family. Thanks to Councillor Oppenheimer for following up with Tim Slaney.
- Thatchers Farm. This is on the parish boundary and actually in Froxfield, but is a considerable blight on all who live near it. Parish has objected to both initial and amended applications on grounds of the offered clean-up not being sufficient.
- Downlands Farm. Parish objected to retrospective application for the facade of the holiday unit in the cattle barn. This was subsequently changed to a full application and the Parish objected again.
- Ashdene Farm. Application for extension to give one-storey house a first floor. This is within policy and the Parish supported it. Did not consult neighbours as unable to contact the Atkins. Application was withdrawn after discouraging feedback from Landscape Officer.
- Slade House. Application to rebuild the studio in the grounds of the house. Not against policy. Parish supported.
- Hedge Corner House. Original application to extend was within policy and supported by Parish. Subsequent application to demolish house and re-build. Parish consulted the Chestermans as neighbours, who were aware and supportive. Within policy and an improvement. Parish supported.
Other Planning Matters
- SDNPA Equestrian Technical Advice Note Consultation. Parish submitted comments.
- National Planning Policy Framework Consultation. Parish submitted comments.
FLY-TIPPING AND LITTER
Many examples of fly tipping reported over the year. Excellent service by EHDC. Parishioners should report online and please copy pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org
EHDC Spring Clean Campaign; support available with tools / bags / hi-vis / bag collection at end.
PARISH BANK ACCOUNT
Still have not used this. Another £1 put in to prove not dormant account. Councillor Louissson raised that he had approved a grant for Parish communications but Mrs Fair explained the Parish was unable to receive this as we did not at that stage have a Parish bank account.
Bank Statement available for inspection by meeting.
BYWAYS OPEN TO ALL TRAFFIC
Very little progress on this long running issue. HCC are attempting to regularise winter closures to prevent damage to the surfaces by motorised vehicles. Still inhibited by fear of legal action by bike pressure groups.
OTHER RIGHTS OF WAY ISSUES
Mrs Fair has reported issues on BOAT 22, BOAT 21, Bridleway 15. This can be done easily online and everyone who finds an issue should report it. HCC (who are responsible for RoW) need to be required to do a proper job on all routes, not just throw huge sums away trying to placate off-roaders.
Mrs Moser reported good repairs to the Bridleway behind Hermitage.
An HCC initiative to attempt to reduce the need for verge cutting by introducing shorter, slower-growing species – experimental strips on the road between Lupin Farm and Hedge Corner Farm.
QUEEN ELIZABETH II MEMORIALS
- At Colemore Church, two lovely trees planted; Quercus Palustris Green Pillar. Many thanks to Simon and Noni de Zoete.
- At Priors Dean Church a number of spring bulbs to be planted next autumn.
PRIORS DEAN CHURCH CORONATION LUNCH PARTY
- A Parish celebration lunch to be held on Monday 8th May, 12.30 at Church Farm.
- All Parishioners invited; invitations on table at the meeting for those attending to help give out.
- Organised by the PD Church Committee but not a fundraising event; volunteers hoped for.
REPORT FROM PETERSFIELD CLIMATE ACTION NETWORK
See website. They can help with funding for residents to have thermal imaging done of their houses.
ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN 2023-24,
– Mrs Fair volunteered to stand for Chairman again.
The meeting duly elected Mrs Fair as Chairman
- plus volunteer helper footpaths, Mrs Moser, planning Ms Beasley and Mr Blackley.
VOTE ON PARISH PRECEPT
Not to be levied.
ANY OTHER BUSINESS
- John Britton proposed a vote of thanks to the Chairman for carrying out her duties over the year.
Date and time of next annual meeting; 6.30pm Friday 22 March 2024
Minutes from previous parish meetings are available below, please click on the meeting date to download the minutes in PDF file format: